Monday, January 2, 2012

Backmasking Assignment

As far as subliminal messaging in music goes, most cases are forced by the listener, but in some cases there are very profound instances of subliminal messaging in the form of backmasking. In my opinion, there are very few actual cases of backmasking in music, meaning all other supposed cases are influenced by knowing what to listen for beforehand.
1)       In the song “Hit Me Baby, One More Time” by Britney Spears, at one point in the song, when played backwards says clearly: “sleep with me, I’m not too young”. Even without the previous suggestion of what to listen for, one can easily identify what she is saying.
2)      In “Stairway to Heaven” by Led Zeppelin there are frequent backmasked references to the devil. Though the backwards words are very obscure and difficult to identify, I personally recognize this as one of the more credible instances of satanic backmasking because of the mysterious nature of the band.
3)      In the “Dora the Explorer” Theme song there are some rather concerning instances of backmasking, but the so called “satanic messages” were forced by the notion that they existed in the first place.
4)       Another case of backmasking in popular children’s cartoon is in the “Pokémon Rap” on the animated children’s show “Pokémon”. When the phrase “Gotta catch em all” is played backwards it sounds eerily similar to “I love satan”. But I would also dismiss this as being a credible case of subliminal messaging simply because of the harmless nature of the television show.
5)      In Eminem’s “My Name is” there is a backmasked message that is quite possibly intentional. When the phrase “Hi! My name is... (what?) My name is... (who?) My name is... {scratches} Slim Shady.” Is played backwards it says “It is slim, It’s Eminem, It’s Eminem”. Eminem is a pretty clever rap artist, and it wouldn’t surprise me if he actually intended for this to happen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment